Winter Wonderland!

Since we are in London for Christmas this year, we wanted to make sure that we really got to see all the Christmas-y stuff here. It has been cold lately so we bundled up and headed to shop and see the windows at Harrods!

Their theme this year is The Wizard of Oz! All the window are completely awesome! The pièce de résistance:

They changed all the lights to green!

After shopping in Harrods for a few hours (much more looking than shopping!), we hopped a bus to the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park! I have seen ads for this all over the city and it was really great. It is patterned after a German Christmas Market with stalls selling trinkets and food.

They also had tons of rides. I was never allowed to ride traveling carnival rides as a kid and my parents have firmly instilled the belief that you have about a 75% chance of dying if you do ride them. I still don’t ride them. I do, however have a weakness for giant slides (apparently chances of death reduced to only 25% on giant slides) and those have always been my go-to activity at carnivals and state fairs and the like. This slide did not disappoint and it wrapped around a big silo tower! All the 7 year olds and I had a blast:

The food was great! We had a German sausage and sauerkraut, pretzel, mini doughnuts, and German potatoes!

There was a band playing and to our best guess, they were British men of German heritage, trying to play country music. We laughed and danced and sang along. Eventually, our noses and feet were so cold that we headed home. Yesterday, we went to grab lunch and then walked around to see the decorations at Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden and then walked to look at the Christmas windows at Fortnum and Mason (one of London’s oldest department stores). London is a fun city all the time but the Christmas time is really spectacular.

Advertisements

About fishandchipsandsalsa

This is the story of a newlywed-ish couple in Dallas about to pack up their lives and pups to move to jolly ol' England. They will miss good family, good friends and good fajitas.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Winter Wonderland!

  1. Carolyn says:

    Today I went to Big Lots, Walmart and Brookshire’s. Hummmm, that just doesn’t sound nearly as exciting as Harrod’s and Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park! I didn’t even feel the need to take pictures! 🙂

    Sounds like y’all are having a great time! Enjoy it to the fullest! Now if that box of Christmas presents/birthday presents from the U.S. will just GET THERE!!!

    Merry Christmas! Love you both!

  2. Dad says:

    Not to change the subject, but when are we gonna hear from Frank and Phil again? (The best thing so far, June 10, 2008)
    I have been patiently waiting to hear the next chapter of those little buggers and some tiny people named Coker.
    Just wondering. Merry Christmas.

  3. Jiji says:

    The festivities have begun for the Coker’s! Hope you have the Merriest Christmas ever!!!

    Oops, we still have a birthday celebration to get past if I’m not mistaken! Love you!!!

  4. Nana says:

    It looks like you all are having a wonderful time. It has been kind of dull around here. I told Honey this morning that I have not seen any Christmas lights and that I want to go out tonight and look at all of the beautiful lights. It sure will be great to get out and at least see some of Corsicana lights. I am sure it won’t be like Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, but it is the best we can do.
    Have a wonderful Birthday and Christmas and stay warm.

  5. I loved all the decorations around London this season, and we had a ball at the Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park. I also blogged a lot about it, but it’s hard to share the magic of it all.

    Happy Christmas–see you in 2010.
    Debi

  6. Jenna says:

    Happy Birthday to you—–Enjoy your day with Mike!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s